Success in the world of business is largely defined by how efficiently and effectively an organization can deliver its products and services to the market, in a manner that meets customer expectations, beats competitor offerings and aligns to legal and regulatory requirements. And in today’s age of digital technology, this means that companies have to move faster to keep up with the ever-changing needs of consumers, particularly in the era of social media where preferences and options are multiplying exponentially and changing uncontrollably. For many organizations this digital transformation also includes a shift from a product to a digital service company. This age, termed the “Fourth Industrial Revolution” is characterised by the digital transformation of the world and the unavoidable interaction between humans, digital technologies and physical assets.
How can organizations keep up with the changes in technology, while delivering innovative products and services in a cost-effective way to meet the needs of their market? They can turn to ITIL, a world-leading framework for IT Service Management. ITIL 4 is the latest version of ITIL, providing a digital operating model enabling organizations to co-create effective value from their IT supported products and services. ITIL 4 builds on ITIL’s decades of progress, evolving established ITSM practices, in the wider context of customer experience, value streams, and digital transformation, as well as through greater alignment with new ways of working, such as Lean, Agile, and DevOps.
BMC Helix: Next Generation ITSM
How to use this guide
This online guide presents the following:
- Overview of the ITIL framework
- Advantages of adopting the ITIL framework
- Details of the ITIL Service Value System and Management Practices
- Links to useful resources for further learning
As you page through this online guide, you’ll have opportunities to read blog posts associated with ITIL, learn how BMC’s solutions are built to enable ITIL, download free ITIL guidance material, visit the ITIL and CMDB community, and sign up for ITIL Certification and Training. Check back often to keep up with the latest ITIL information available from BMC.
What is ITIL?
ITIL is a globally recognised framework which for the last 30 years has continued to provide comprehensive, practical and proven guidance for establishing an IT service management system, encouraging consistency and continual improvement for businesses using IT enabled services. Now in its fourth iteration, ITIL 4 provides the guidance organizations need to address new service management challenges and utilize the potential of modern technology in an era of cloud, Agile, DevOps and transformation.
The key components of the ITIL 4 framework are the ITIL service value system (SVS) and the four dimensions model. The ITIL service value chain provides a flexible operating model for the creation, delivery, and continual improvement of services. The core components of the ITIL SVS are:
- The ITIL service value chain;
- The ITIL practices;
- The ITIL guiding principles;
- Governance; and
- Continual improvement.
The four dimensions model describes a balanced focus to the ITIL SVS through a holistic and effective approach. The four dimensions are:
- Organizations and People
- Information and Technology
- Partners and Suppliers
- Value Streams and Processes
These components represent a significant evolution of ITIL from previous iterations, from a specific focus on delivering services, to the broader perspective of the value created by the products and services delivered to the customer. ITIL 4 has been designed to provide a seamless transition from an organization’s existing investment in ITIL and its current way of working, to a faster, more flexible and adaptive approach.
Who uses ITIL?
Large, medium, and small organizations all over the world use ITIL to help them improve the value of their services. ITIL helps organizations in all industries and sectors solve business issues as well as improving IT capability. Organizations use ITIL as a guide to improve or implement a capability that provides business value.
What are the benefits and advantages of ITIL?
Organizational benefits of adopting ITIL include:
- Faster and more flexible service delivery practices to support digital transformation
- Better strategic alignment between IT and the business
- Smoother integration between evolving software delivery practices and the enterprise customer support framework
- Improved service delivery and customer satisfaction
- Reduced costs through improved use of resources
- Greater visibility of IT costs and assets
- Better management of business risk and service disruption or failure
BMC builds solutions which align fully to the ITIL framework, and supports those solutions with ITIL training, services, and resources. Our Centers of Excellence and industry-leading technologies help organizations all over the world define and execute their IT Service Management (ITSM) strategies for traditional and digital services.
Whether transforming or evolving service maturity, BMC has helped organizations worldwide achieve high-performing service business value. BMC helps organizations achieve value from all of the ITIL process areas.
BMC also provides:
- A comprehensive set of best-in-class, PinkVerify-certified ITIL technologies
- ITIL industry contributors
- Industry-leading education offerings
- Transformation practice for ITIL prescriptive guidance
- Industry partner collaboration
- ITIL synergies with other best practices
BMC Helix: Next Generation ITSM
BMC Helix ITSM combines the latest in digital and cognitive automation technologies to enable best-practice ITSM principles, helping you to provide intelligent and predictive service management across any environment. Learn more about BMC Helix ITSM
- Optimized for ITIL® 4
- Predictive service management through auto-classification, assignment, and routing of incidents
- Integrations with leading agile DevOps tools such as Jira
- Delivered in containers to enable operational and cloud deployment efficiencies
ITIL® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited. IT Infrastructure Library® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited
These postings are my own and do not necessarily represent BMC's position, strategies, or opinion.
See an error or have a suggestion? Please let us know by emailing email@example.com.