Examples of Hadoop
Here are five examples of Hadoop use cases:
- Financial services companies use analytics to assess risk, build investment models, and create trading algorithms; Hadoop has been used to help build and run those applications.
- Retailers use it to help analyze structured and unstructured data to better understand and serve their customers.
- In the asset-intensive energy industry Hadoop-powered analytics are used for predictive maintenance, with input from Internet of Things (IoT) devices feeding data into big data programs.
- Telecommunications companies can adapt all the aforementioned use cases. For example, they can use Hadoop-powered analytics to execute predictive maintenance on their infrastructure. Big data analytics can also plan efficient network paths and recommend optimal locations for new cell towers or other network expansion. To support customer-facing operations telcos can analyze customer behavior and billing statements to inform new service offerings.
- There are numerous public sector programs, ranging from anticipating and preventing disease outbreaks to crunching numbers to catch tax cheats.
Hadoop is used in these and other big data programs because it is effective, scalable, and is well supported by large vendor and user communities. Hadoop is a de facto standard in big data.
(This article is part of our Hadoop Guide. Use the right-hand menu to navigate.)