There are plenty of articles and blogs extolling the benefits of Cloud computing such as: ubiquitous access, unlimited scale and pay only for what you use. However, in this blog, I wanted to focus on the cloud computing advantages that our customers are actually realizing from their cloud computing efforts. These aren’t promised benefits, they are actual, realized benefits that are helping them to change their business and become more agile and cost efficient while at the same time, improving control and reducing business risk. Of course, it takes the right cloud tools, well thought-out strategies and people dedicated to make it happen. For each of these benefits, I’ll include a company that is realizing the benefit now.
- Reduce the time it takes to get access to resources. This is often where the pain starts. The application development team is tired of waiting weeks or even months to get the resources that they need to develop and test new applications. Many of them go outside the company to public cloud services, potentially exposing the organization to financial and business risk. A 2015 study by Vanson, Bourne, Atos1, indicated that Shadow IT is occurring in 6 out of 10 organizations and can take up to 15% of their annual IT budget. JDA Software provides end-to-end, integrated retail and supply chain planning and execution solutions for more than 4,000 customers. JDA Software uses BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management to deliver highly consistent, manageable, and reliable software-as-a-service (SaaS) solutions for its customers. They shortened the time it takes to get new cloud services by reducing service provisioning from >60 days to 2 hours. Read more.
- Simplify compliance with regulations while improving security. Security is a hot topic in cloud discussions. It is often cited as the biggest concern of companies moving to the cloud. At the same time, it can be an opportunity to implement new processes and improve security and compliance. It’s been shown that most cyber-attacks target known vulnerabilities for which a fix already exists but simply hasn’t been properly applied. Knowing where those vulnerabilities exist in your environment and remediating them can significantly improve resiliency. Morningstar is a leading provider of independent investment research in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Morningstar uses BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management’s built-in compliance checks to help them maintain alignment with Sarbanes-Oxley and Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS). Read more.
- Innovate quickly by failing fast. Agility is often cited as a reason that organizations move to the cloud. They want the ability to provision new resources, scale up and then decommission to reuse the resources elsewhere. This is particularly important to development teams who are under increasing pressure to release the next new application or feature that will differentiate their service from the competition. Private clouds can deliver the full stack environments that developers need to develop new features and iterate rapidly to build quality applications. BNY Mellon is a 230 year old investments company that helps institutions and individuals succeed in markets all over the world. To accelerate innovation BNY Mellon created a private cloud platform using BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management that enables them to spin up resources, experiment, and build on successes or learn from failures. And, because the cloud enables them to do it quickly, resources aren’t hoarded but instead provisioned and de-provisioned on demand. More on BNY Mellon’s story here.
- Maintain Control of IT resources. In the past ten years, there has been a big push towards IT process control to minimize manual errors, eliminate unnecessary steps and create enterprise documentation. This helps create assurances that tasks are performed by authorized persons in the prescribed manner and there is a recorded event that proves it happened properly. At the same time, organizations can use those records to better understand why systems or services fail to reduce mean time to repair and keep the business running smoothly.However, following processes is not easy. They take precious time away from mission critical tasks and often feel like a burden, especially when going around the process gets results. Cloud developers are often the culprits, going around IT to public cloud services to get the resources they need. But, they can also cause financial risk, data risk and security risk to the business. The key to getting people to follow IT processes consistently, is to make following the processes easier than going around them. This comes from automation. When users can access the cloud resources they need in a fast and cost effective way, while complying with internal requirements, they comply. Wipro delivers IT consulting and business process services to clients across the globe. They help their customers leverage the cloud by providing a cost-effective, agile cloud infrastructure. They use BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management with integration to Remedy to create ITIL compliant service management across hybrid clouds. This makes following processes easier which in turn keeps their users happy and their clients out of trouble. Read more.
- Run legacy systems while transitioning to the cloud. This might seem a little counter intuitive. Why would a company want to run legacy systems with their cloud software? Organizations have invested years and significant money in establishing and maintaining their critical business systems. Transitioning to the cloud is not an overnight proposition, it takes careful planning and significant resources and quite frankly, it might not make sense to ever move some systems to the cloud. That said, these new cloud systems of engagement need to access data and work with traditional systems of record. Utilizing a single management system for cloud and legacy systems that incorporates compliance, change control and system monitoring can help reduce overall IT management complexity. Morningstar uses BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management and other BMC tools for consistent management across the cloud and legacy systems. Read more.
There are many other advantages from moving to cloud besides the five that I mentioned above. If you would like to discuss this more, please feel free to reach out on social media (@grizfisher) or contact your BMC sales rep.
1Out of the shadows: Stealth IT spend to increase by 20% in 2015 – http://atos.net/en-us/home/we-are/news/press-release/2015/pr-2015_03_26_01.html