Macquarie Cloud Services (MCS) is one of Australia’s premier managed hosting companies, operating several data centers across the country.
MCS needed to ensure that the hosting business could continue to scale efficiently and cost-effectively. An audit revealed a clear lack of formal toolsets to manage or automate network and server operations. Most processes were manual, supported by only a handful of homegrown scripts. It simply wasn’t sustainable considering the growth of MCS. To scale to meet the market expectations of time, cost, and breadth of service, Macquarie Cloud Services needed to automate network and server management.
Seven years ago, MCS signed a deal with BMC Software for TrueSight Orchestration, TrueSight Automation for Servers, and TrueSight Automation for Networks. This implementation was designed to automate device management, processes, and workflows, and to replace the intensely manual management of Macquarie’s infrastructure.
- The MCS team has been on a journey of process and system maturity that has resulted in its Net Promoter Score (NPS) improving from -35 to an industry-leading +84.
- Servers under management have increased by more than 250% and full-time engineers have remained at a steady level due to the use of automation, reduced effort in building and supporting solutions, improved standardization of solutions, and better configuration management.
- Since implementation, the profitability (EBITDA) of the hosting business has more than doubled, from $9.6M in FY15 to $21.6M in FY17.
- Implementing BMC’s solutions has effectively decoupled growth from cost, providing MCS with substantial savings.
- Automation is enabling innovation, boosting efficiency, and producing a sizeable payback of the BMC investment.
“The BMC team worked with us to help us achieve our business goals. From the planning stages to implementation and on to knowledge transfer, this was a true partnership.”— James Mystakidis, Group Executive, Macquarie Cloud Services