The University of Kansas Health System is a nonprofit, academic medical center located in Kansas City, with branch hospitals and education centers in Topeka, Kansas and Lawrence, Kansas. The University of Kansas Health System combines education, research, and patient care. A primary goal for the organization’s IT group is to positively impact patient care through optimizing current and introducing new technology to the University of Kansas Health System. The team manages over 100 applications across the organization and provides critical operational support in many departments.
In 2011, the University of Kansas Health System sought to update its legacy ITSM system in order to streamline its service desk processes and offer the fast, efficient service experience needed by its users. A priority was upgrading to a cloud-based solution that would make upgrades and feature improvements simpler and more automated, allowing IT to focus on internal improvement rather than hardware.
BMC Helix ITSM and BMC Helix Digital Workplace have helped the University of Kansas Health System standardize and operationalize its IT systems and processes. The solutions allow users to leverage knowledge management modules for anytime, anywhere access to help and resources, including crowdsourcing for issue resolution. The system admin group drives all users to BMC Helix Digital Workplace for application installs and issue reporting, saving the team substantial time and leading to faster request fulfillment. Because the solutions are cloud-based, they also help the University of Kansas Health System keep its server footprint, management, and staffing right-sized and efficient.
- The on-demand structure allows IT to focus on improvement rather than upgrades
- Knowledge management modules allow users to solve their own problems
- The solution’s cognitive, self-learning capabilities improve its functionality without team intervention
- The team sees faster first-call resolution due to the solution’s self-service and knowledge-sharing capabilities
- Upgrades are automated seamlessly, freeing up administrator time for higher-value work
“We drive 100% of our self-service through BMC Helix Digital Workplace.”— Blake Bowlin, System Administrator, University of Kansas Health System