BMC proudly shares the UN’s vision of improving lives through the promotion of social progress and sustainable development.
To our mutual goal of an inclusive and equitable future, we leverage BMC’s 6,000 global employees and wide range of partnerships and initiatives to align with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. These goals increasingly inform the ways in which we serve the communities where we live and work.
- 53,195 volunteer hours year to date
- Health and Wellness: We partner with organizations on a global scale to promote health and wellness activities for our employees and in our communities and to raise funds for research and medical prevention programs.
- Social and Community Enrichment: Our employees invest their time and energy to improve the areas in which we live and work. We strategically partner with organizations that emphasize economic development, infrastructural improvement, social enrichment, and veteran community outreach.
- Education and Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM): BMC makes significant and meaningful contributions in time and money to support the education and advancement of our youth. We achieve this through a variety of channels including mentoring and tutoring, literacy programs, financial contributions, and development.
BMC Cares Partners
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Living our values
One of BMC’s core values is putting people first. Our CSR strategy is focused on:
- Delivering an inclusive and equitable experience for our employees and customers
- Improving our social impact
We encourage diverse thinking. We produce a recurring diversity speaker series that brings together employees and industry-renowned thought leaders in the collective aim of building empathy and advocating positive change. Additionally, we maintain a constantly growing repository of resources and volunteer opportunities for BMCers and their families including a company-wide inclusivity blog.
- Our commitment to diversity is a business imperative—one that not only applies to our employees, but to those with whom we do business. Our policy is to provide opportunities for small, disadvantaged, and HUBZone (historically under-utilized business zones) businesses, as well as minorities, women, veterans and service-disabled veteran-owned businesses, whether as suppliers or contractors.
- We are committed to having a diverse supplier base to help develop stronger local communities and to help create long-term, sustainable growth for BMC. If you are interested in pursuing opportunities within BMC, please visit our Supplier Diversity page.
Living our values
We regularly survey our employees to understand their experiences at BMC so that we can make improvements at all levels and across all locations. In 2020, 88 percent of our employees completed the BMC Employee Survey. Results showed strong engagement and a sense of belonging across the workforce.
*Employee engagement is calculated as the average score across 20 questions spanning three items in the engagement dimension (i.e., Company Direction & Employee Alignment, Work Environment, Culture & Retention).
Code of Conduct
The BMC Code of Conduct sets a framework to guide employees as they work with colleagues, customers, suppliers, business partners, and other key stakeholders. To ensure consistency in our business dealings, all employees must commit annually to abide by the BMC Code of Conduct. Additionally, we offer online educational content on key legal and regulatory issues or business risks quarterly. These efforts foster a culture of ethics and prioritize employees’ ability to execute business in accordance with applicable policies.
BMC Diversity Partners
It is BMC’s policy to continually strive to improve our environmental performance by setting annual targets, reviewing our objectives, measuring progress through formal audits, and partnering with organizations committed to combating deforestation such as Reforest’Action, One Tree Planted, Green Thumb, and Vasundhara.
BMC also records data related to our carbon footprint in terms of travel and energy use. To further demonstrate our dedication to environmental citizenship, BMC obtained and maintains the Global Accreditation for ISO 14001:2015.
Pledge to combat climate change
In 2021, BMC joined the global movement of leading companies aligning their business with the most ambitious aims of the Paris Agreement: to limit global temperature rise to 1.5°C above preindustrial levels and to reach net-zero by 2050. These actions offer the best chance to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.
Through this pledge, BMC commits to establishing science-based emissions reduction targets across the business and setting a long-term target to reach net-zero value chain emissions by no later than 2030. To date, we have already:
- Joined more than 1,000 businesses working with the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi) to reduce emissions in line with climate science
- Submitted and disclosed our emissions and net-zero carbon goals to CDP, a charity that empowers companies, local regions, and investors to manage their environmental impacts
Transitioning to a net-zero emissions economy requires coordinated action across all sectors of the economy, supported by enabling policy frameworks.
That’s why we’re proudly committing to policy advocacy positions consistent with a 1.5°C future in the countries where we operate and have influence.
BMC is supporting the environment through climate restorative initiatives including our ongoing reforestation partnerships with Reforest’Action and OneTreePlanted. BMC also works with the Ocean Conservancy, TeamSeas, and Seabin Project to remove debris from our shores and waterways.
BMC employees actively engage in the following sustainability best practices. It is our policy to do all that is reasonably practicable to:
- Reduce levels of energy consumption: This includes electricity, gas, and other fossil fuels.
- Reduce use of consumables: We recycle equipment, waste products, and redundant items.
- Use, store, control, and dispose of waste properly: Additionally, we dispose of hazardous materials in line with best environmental practices.
- Purchase items produced from sustainable sources: We are continually seeking to obtain services, equipment, and power from providers that are committed to environmental protection.
- Reduce travel impact: We achieve this by using technology for collaboration and meetings.
- Prevent and reduce pollution: We actively pursue the reduction of our use of substances and processes that adversely affect the environment.
- Record travel carbon emissions: We record and analyze travel data to best manage our carbon footprint.
- Encourage employee participation: We set a standard such that all employees can cooperate in the operation and management of this policy.
Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG)
ESG risk rating
Sustainalytics’ ESG Risk Ratings score and offer clear insights about the environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks of companies. ESG Risk Ratings indicate an absolute measure of risk, so that ratings are comparable across different issues, companies, and industries.
BMC Software has been rated at “negligible” of experiencing material financial impacts from ESG factors. It ranks in the top 1%, ahead of its peers and among the over 900 companies of its market segment (Software & Services).
Sustainalytics has also rated as “strong” BMC Software’s ESG management that is supported by multiple initiatives such as its programs to elevate initiatives for Inclusion and gender equality as well as demonstrated focus on business ethics.
Furthermore, Sustainalytics has highlighted that BMC Software has above average preparedness measures to address data privacy and security.
Our ESG commitment
At BMC, we are passionate about delivering great technology and making the world a better place in the process. With our commitment to investing in ESG initiatives, this rating validates the investments and initiatives we’ve taken across BMC to prioritize this aspect of our business.
Looking ahead, we see more opportunities to improve the world for our employees, customers, partners, and the communities we impact. We continue to set aggressive milestones for ourselves in our Corporate Social Responsibility strategy, and we look forward to making even greater progress to ensure the Autonomous Digital Enterprise includes everyone.