BMC Delivers Automated Detection and Response for Mainframe Security Operations
BMC AMI Security continuously defends and hardens the mainframe against insider threats, social-engineering attacks, credential theft, and zero-day vulnerabilities
HOUSTON – July 16, 2020 – BMC, a global leader in IT solutions for the Autonomous Digital Enterprise, today announced new capabilities for the BMC AMI Security solution to automatically protect, detect, and respond to threats on the mainframe. BMC AMI Security shares mainframe security events with enterprise security information and event management systems (SIEM) in real-time, providing actionable insights for incident responders.
Autonomous Digital Enterprises today amass and use data from across the enterprise, including the mainframe, for optimal operations and a transcendent customer experience. The mainframe is very securable, but zero-day threats, configuration weaknesses, and modern threats like ransomware present risks to the sensitive data that live on mainframes.
Securing the mainframe requires skills that are in short supply. So, BMC AMI Security comes with years of experience with intelligence and automated security processes built-in to defend mainframes and surface findings that are actionable for incident responders, making both security and operations teams more efficient.
With the BMC AMI Security solution, organizations can:
- Automatically halt suspicious and known malicious actions: Automated protection, detection, and response to mainframe security events stops threats before systems are compromised, provides visibility into attack methods, and reduces mean time to repair (MTTR). Behavioral analytics operate in real-time and trigger alerts for Indicators of Compromise (IOCs) on the mainframe.
- Close the window of opportunity for attackers to go undetected: Integrations with leading SIEMs give security teams visibility of actions occurring on the mainframe in real-time with a timeline of actions to quickly investigate threat events.
- Secure critical data, uncover risks, and continuously harden the mainframe: One of the largest sets of IOCs based on attack behaviors are provided out of the box for faster investigations. Security practitioners can see all actions occurring on the mainframe to continuously monitor databases for suspicious activity.
- Adhere to compliance demands with alerts, audits, and real-time visibility: Out-of-the-box reports, real-time alerts, and audit trails for production systems seamlessly work with all major SIEMs to help achieve key HIPAA, PCI, DSS, and GDPR compliance mandates in minutes.
- Simplify administration and operations: Automated password management improves the efficiency of users and the service desk. A graphical user interface simplifies basic management tasks, and auditable emergency access allows faster performance of essential services.
Enterprises are realizing the value of moving from Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) to Extended Detection and Response (XDR) tools. Data correlation and centralization, in particular, help to surface data relevant to detection.
"Centralization and normalization of data also helps improve detection by combining softer signals from more components to detect events that might otherwise be ignored," according to Gartner.*
"As an enterprise system storing some of an organization's most sensitive data, the mainframe is a target for attackers. If not properly secured, the mainframe can be compromised in minutes," said John McKenny, Senior Vice President of ZSolutions Strategy and Innovation at BMC. "BMC AMI Security is the virtual, always-on security expert for the mainframe that enterprises need. Its ability to adapt to threats and help enterprises include the mainframe into their XDR strategy solves a potentially large gap in protecting sensitive data within every Autonomous Digital Enterprise."
BMC Automated Mainframe Intelligence (AMI) helps businesses automatically manage, diagnose, heal, and optimize the mainframe. Built for intelligent automation, BMC AMI makes the mainframe smarter using artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning, predictive analytics, correlation, and pattern analysis. These capabilities align with customers' evolving needs and embrace intelligent, tech-enabled systems across every facet of the business. Enhancements to database, performance, and optimization solutions are also planned.
Innovation is being delivered throughout the BMC portfolio with security and usability enhancements now available for the MainView Systems management products in our July quarterly release. The MainView products now include more data, metrics, and real-time visibility than ever before. Compuware, a BMC company, also recently announced mainframe DevOps integrations that enable test data setup to be directly embedded into automated testing, further ensuring test data consistency, accuracy, and security for Autonomous Digital Enterprises.
- Learn more about the BMC AMI Security solution at www.bmc.com/ami-security
- Register for the July 30th webinar to learn how BMC AMI Security protects, detects, and responds to threats here.
- Learn how to run and reinvent the mainframe with intelligent automation at www.bmc.com/ami
- Discover what it takes to be an Autonomous Digital Enterprise at www.bmc.com/ade
- Read BMC's customer success stories at www.bmc.com/customers/success-stories.html
*Smarter With Gartner, Gartner Top 9 Security and Risk Trends for 2020, June 22, 2020, https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/gartner-top-9-security-and-risk-trends-for-2020/
From core to cloud to edge, BMC delivers the software and services that enable over 10,000 global customers, including 84% of the Forbes Global 100, to thrive in their ongoing evolution to an Autonomous Digital Enterprise.
BMC, BMC Software, the BMC logo, and other BMC marks are the exclusive properties of BMC Software, Inc. or its affiliates and are registered or may be registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office or in other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©Copyright 2020 BMC Software, Inc.
BMC—Run and Reinvent