BMC Recommended Maintenance for Mainframe Products and Solutions
BMC recommends applying the most current RSL plus any critical PTF service (all PE/HIPER maintenance along with their correcting PTFs).
- Using SMP/E RECEIVE ORDER with CONTENT (RECOMMENDED), the request type will evaluate the SMP/E environment and build a maintenance bundle with all required maintenance from your current level to most current BMC RSL level plus the critical PTF service.
For customers using an aggressive maintenance strategy, BMC recommends applying the most current RSL plus all verified PTF service.
- Using SMP/E RECEIVE ORDER with CONTENT (ALL), the request type will evaluate the SMP/E environment and build a maintenance bundle with all available verified maintenance from your current level to most current BMC RSL level plus any additional verified PTF service.
Detailed information for BMC RECEIVE ORDER can be found at Using SMP/E Receive Order in the Installation System Documentation pages.
BMC recommended maintenance is delivered via quarterly Recommended Service Level (RSL). The quarterly maintenance delivery is modeled on the IBM RSU certification process of quarterly testing cycles. The BMC RSL is also certified against an IBM quarterly RSU.
- Delivery content and schedules along with file information is included with the Installation System documentation at the following link: Maintenance files and schedule
On this page you will find the maintenance delivery schedule with the following information:
- RSLYYMM – The linked document contains a list of all PTF maintenance released for RSL and short description.
- Maintenance Period – Maintenance sweep period of PTF that participated in the quarterly certification.
- GA Availability Date – RSL release date.
- IBM RSU Level - IBM RSU level the BMC RSL was certified with.
For specific requests (i.e., z/OS version support, Db2 function level), BMC utilizes Enhanced HOLDDATA FIXCAT (Fix Category) to identify required maintenance. If there is not a specific FIXCAT provided, BMC recommends following the Recommended Maintenance guidelines provided earlier in this document. Additional information on HOLDDATA and Fix Category (FIXCAT) can be found at the following links: Enhanced HOLDDATA and FIXCAT data
For the BMC Compuware products, recommended maintenance and minimum supporting version can be found on the ‘Day One Support’ page
If you have questions, Contact BMC Support. If outside the United States, use the Select Another Country drop-down list to search for local phone numbers.
For more information, visit the Mainframe Maintenance page on Support Central – Downloads and Products.
- The BMC Assisted Migration Offering (AMIGO) program is designed to assist customers with the planning of product upgrades to a newer version – “Success through proper planning”. Explore AMIGO Program ›