HBF Health Limited was established in 1941 to provide affordable health insurance coverage to Western Australians and is now the region’s leading health insurance provider. HBF has over 700 servers, 100 IT staff, over 100 applications, and two data centers. The core apps are the health insurance system application, member relationship management, integration software, and HBF’s web and mobile sites.
The Challenge: Improve Data Refresh and Table Maintenance
HBF sought to increase the speed and performance of its mainframe environment while reducing downtime and impact to critical business processes. HBF’s previous solution was expensive and was not being fully used by the IT staff and developers because it was labor intensive. HBF needed a way to replace that solution with an easy-to-use, efficient, and effective alternative.
The main driver for HBF’s replacement decision was to improve the test environment data refresh and table maintenance, specifically the table reorganizations. HBF also had significant problems with data refresh because the previous product was highly unreliable.
After taking inventory of HBF’s challenges and priorities, BMC worked closely with them over the course of a couple months to successfully implement the Next Generation Technology (NGT) suite of solutions.
- HBF replaced the previous inferior product with BMC’s NGT Copy for Db2 Copy Migrate function, which went through with absolutely no problems.
- HBF uses NGT Recover for Db2 and NGT Copy for Db2 for data refresh and copy migration
- NGT Reorg for Db2 is used for weekly maintenance and ad-hoc use.
- Catalog Manager for Db2 and Apptune for Db2 are used for daily administration and troubleshooting tasks.
- Developers are fully utilizing the solutions.
- Test data refresh has been cut from two days down to just two hours and is completed outside of business hours, which means no business disruption.
- Table reorgs are now running for non-prod environments, and the staff is able to archive old, archaic maintenance scripts.
- HBF can reorg very large tablespaces in reduced time and these large table reorgs do not fail with sort space.
- HBF is able to significantly reduce length of planned/unplanned outages.
“It’s been a great experience with BMC. The transition from old to new was done quite well, and we had customer support on weekly calls to ensure the implementation went smoothly.”— Pete Richardson, Senior Database Administrator, HBF