We live in a fascinating time. New mobile transactions are increasing at an exponential pace. Our beloved mainframes are making this all possible – without them, the transactions would not process at the pace we expect, would not be as secure as we need them to be, and costs would be prohibitive. But many of the new transactions that your mainframe is processing are non-revenue generating transactions. This creates more risk without reward, so you need to address it. Best practices dictate innovating your mainframe cost management with software that is acquired using a Shared Savings approach. This method is being adopted by key financial, insurance, retail, and government entities to quickly become more competitive and pull savings to the bottom line.
Innovation in times like these is critical. We need new, modern ways of tackling the toughest issues. New products and new ways of doing business are essential.
If you operate a mainframe shop, then you know how valuable your mainframe is. Here are two necessary ways to make your mainframe even more innovative and valuable – to ensure the economics are optimized and 24×7 availability is not compromised.
- Optimize your subsystem configuration to reduce MLC costs and increase availability. Take a serious look at BMC Subsystem Optimizer, aka Subzero. A new innovation from BMC Software, it’s already proven to significantly lower costs while adding an additional layer of redundancy – all using established APIs so you don’t need to worry about making application changes. Customers are using it today in production, although you can save big even in your test/development environments. This is about as exciting and innovative as it gets.
- Consider how a Shared Savings Model can benefit your results in accomplishing #1. A shared savings model means that when you purchase software (like Subzero), you don’t pay until you save money. This can be a win-win for both you and the vendor. If you save, for example, $1 million over the course of a year, a portion of the saving would pay for the solution, and the rest of the savings stay with you. So, really, you have not spent anything on software, but instead saved your company $500K in recapturing MLC costs.
If you’re business is in an industry that is critical to the economy and very high-profile, such as banking, insurance, government, retail, or transportation (just to name a few), it’s imperative that you take action and be innovation-centric. Your competition is – and the rewards can be extremely high, without the risk.
Transform how you manage mainframe MLC to control costs:
- When Is zIIP Offload Not What It Seems?
- You’re Invited – The Premiere Db2 Event in Lisbon, Portugal
- Five Tips for Your Modern Mainframe
- Gartner Report Discusses Need for Active Mainframe Cost Management
- Capping challenged on your mainframe? Why BMC MainView customers have it easy