Recently, IBM announced the release of the Z14 machine, marking yet another level of innovation on the Mainframe. In my mind, this is a testament to the ongoing vibrancy and relevance of the Mainframe as the platform for the digital age. To handle the demands of today and the requirements around 24×7 availability, performance, and security, the Mainframe plays a more crucial role now than it ever has. The Z14 is the latest representation of the platform focused on security and trust. I’d like to focus on this aspect because I believe that trust is an imperative shaping today’s digital business challenges. Like the popular saying goes, “If you don’t have trust, you don’t have anything.”
Security and trust are everything in today’s data-driven world. Many of us more (ahem) seasoned veterans need no reminding that Z is the most secure platform out there, period. Z’s world-class security is second to none and it is a cornerstone of the technology upon which trust in data and trust in the digital economy has been built. Here are a few ways that I see the Z14, the Mainframe, and BMC continuing to build on that trust that has been fostered over decades:
- Security at scale: The Mainframe is a secure, trusted platform that can manage and process trusted data as it whizzes about the world. A world where each mobile customer makes 50+ transactions per day that in turn create 200 to 5,000 system interactions. What other platform could securely process that volume of data?
- Innovation: BMC continues to prioritize and focus on the Mainframe and partner with IBM. We have delivered 8 new mainframe products in the last 3 years, been granted 30+ mainframe software patents in that same time, as well as delivered 30+ mainframe product releases in the last year alone.
- Customer satisfaction: At BMC we have a maniacal focus on providing world class customer support and as an independent provider who has been in the business for over 35 years now, we pride ourselves on this relentless focus. We value the trust and confidence in our relationships with our customers and we are extremely proud of our industry-leading customer satisfaction ratings.
- Trust in data: BMC also focuses on tools that allow you to trust and capitalize on your data, structured and unstructured, as well as prepare for upcoming regulations. Most recently, we are ready for GDPR – the General Data Protection Regulation coming out of the EU. We are ready to help our customers ahead of the requirements. Our backup and recovery solutions ensure that you are prepared for any unforeseen data disruption, meet timeliness and proof requirements, and can quickly restore your data. For more information on GDPR and the mainframe, click here.
Trust isn’t given, it’s earned and the Z platform has earned it over decades. Its track record as an un-hackable and a lightning-fast driver of critical business systems is unparalleled. The Z14 announcement is yet another chapter in that history. BMC has a history of being a trusted partner that provides solutions that help you trust your data and systems, and trust that you are getting the most out of your Mainframe at the best price. I’m excited to see what we will build next with our customers and this trusted platform. How will you ensure security, transparency and create value for your customers? How will you exploit the trusted data you have for new insights? How will you understand your customers better than anyone else and from there, create experiences that foster loyalty and trust?
For more information on how BMC is innovating and supporting the Z platform, see http://www.bmc.com/it-solutions/mainframe.html
- Transforming DB2 for the Demands of Digital Healthcare
- What is the Rolling 4-Hour Average?
- Mainframe Best Practice: Increase Availability with Conditional IMS Utility Processing
- Mainframe Workload Capping: The Importance of “Importance”
- The Evolution of American Football and Mainframe IT