Download mp3 (16:19)
Be sure “your asset plans are evolving, realistic, and that what you’re doing has an eye toward future consumption, future use, and future performance trends,” says Chris Williams
Do you have a good handle on your IT organizational assets — what is and isn’t being used, the true costs of those assets, and whether they are best suited to meet business needs? Could you be saving the business large sums of money through more strategic use of IT assets? Could you be exposing your organization to the risk of noncompliance with licensing requirements? Join us for a conversation about Four Best Practices for Software Asset Management, with Chris Williams, manager of IT Service Management Product Marketing for BMC Software.
Chris Williams, lead service support solutions manager, at BMC software, is responsible for the product marketing of the BMC Service Support discipline. He manages a team that focuses on solution-level strategies that leverage the comprehensive capabilities of integrated IT processes and practices that are advanced through the use of the BMC offerings.
- We’re going to be talking about this whole concept called Service Asset Lifecycle Management. You brought up a great point, that there’s often a misunderstanding that physical assets and software assets are to be handled in two completely different ways. One of the problems large organizations have is a kind of hybrid mess of tracking things across silos, of various groups, purchasing, IT, you just never know exactly where things originated and where they end up, how to get them re-upped when it comes to licensing? Where do we get started with that.?
- Let’s go back to the concept of service asset lifecycle management. An asset is both software and hardware. Could you elaborate on that a little bit more?
- With regards to sparking the organizational transformation needed to make software asset management a reality, what are the four steps?
- Now we understand what our assets are, what’s the best way to determine how and why they are being used?
- We’ve got the how and why, what is a better way to track all this information?
- Any final words of wisdom you’d like to leave with our listeners?
BMC Industry Insight: Four Best Practices for Software Asset Management (pdf)
RSS SUBSCRIBE: http://www.bmc.com/subscriptions
iTUNES SUBSCRIBE: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/bmc-podcasts/id335625323
Comments, Questions, Feedback: bmc.com/podcasts