Data Center Automation Blog – BMC Blogs BMC Software Thu, 14 Jun 2018 20:24:58 +0000 en-US hourly 1 Data Center Automation Blog – BMC Blogs 32 32 How Data Center Jobs Are Changing in the Age of the Cloud Mon, 14 May 2018 00:00:57 +0000 There’s been a lot of changes in the Data Center (DC) since the 1990s. We’ve seen the migration of in-house Data Centers to managed Data Centers run by managed service providers (MSPs). Managed DCs and in-house DCs are also migrating to cloud hosting environments where your applications reside solely on vendor machines running in the […]]]> What is “Data Center Colocation”? Data Center Colocation Explained Tue, 23 Jan 2018 00:00:50 +0000 The decision to move, expand or consolidate your data center is one that must be weighed in the context of cost, operational reliability and of course, security. With these considerations in mind, more companies are finding that colocation offers the solution they need without the hassle of managing their own data center. Also known simply […]]]> Server Consolidation: 6 Steps for Addressing Server Sprawl Tue, 12 Dec 2017 06:45:14 +0000 Everyone who has ever been a systems administrator or infrastructure manager has at some point experienced server sprawl. Over the past few years, technologies like virtualization, Docker and cloud services have come along to help address this challenge. Nonetheless, at some point either someone is going to say “do we really need all those servers? […]]]> 5 Ways Multi-Cloud Discovery Can Enhance IT Security Tue, 17 Oct 2017 01:01:23 +0000 2017 is almost over and as expected, has achieved new records in technology adoption, driven by the transformation of traditional businesses into digital enterprises. While several huge security breaches have been in the news this year, the threat level continues to grow, with cybercrime getting more organized, and derailing the power of new technology. If […]]]> What the New Multi-Cloud World Means for IT Fri, 21 Apr 2017 00:00:50 +0000 Digital transformation for business is no longer a luxury. All companies must accelerate the development and continuous deployment of innovative processes, applications, services, and software changes just to survive. To meet this challenge, companies are increasingly turning to the cloud for the agility, scale and operating flexibility that is needed to meet the rapidly changing […]]]> Vulnerability Management in 2017: Context is King Fri, 17 Mar 2017 07:27:28 +0000 A steady increase in the number of vulnerabilities each year has put a fresh focus on the discipline of vulnerability management. Although the Verizon 2016 Breach Investigations Report found that the top 10 vulnerabilities made up 85% of the successful exploit traffic, the remaining 15% were attributed to over 900 CVEs. This shows that we […]]]> 4 Use Cases to Automate the Gap with Service Process Orchestration Tue, 14 Mar 2017 12:59:45 +0000 If you are an IT professional, you probably don’t need convincing of the benefits of automation. In fact, you probably have several tools in your environment that are delivering automation of one form or another right now. For many organizations, enterprise software tools for things such as configuration management, service desk management or IT monitoring […]]]> Data Center Tiers: What Are They and Why Are They Important? Thu, 12 Jan 2017 03:46:42 +0000 When dealing with Data Centers (DCs), it’s helpful to understand what Data Center tiers are and how they affect IT organizations. Here’s a brief overview of what a data center tier is, what data center tiers tell people about your data center, and why they’re valuable to have. What is a Data Center tier? Data […]]]> Highlights from the 2017 Forbes Insights and BMC Security Survey Wed, 11 Jan 2017 03:40:09 +0000 2016 was a year of surprises.  The continued growth of hacking incidents with their devastating trail of destruction was among the more shocking developments.  It brought cybersecurity concerns to the center of every conversation.  Many an IT executive has suffered sleepless nights as they tried to figure out how they could protect their organization and […]]]> Data Center Management Tools: Features, Functions, and How To Choose Tue, 20 Dec 2016 05:36:28 +0000 Most Data Center managers are heavy on responsibilities but light on personnel. IT organizations naturally spend more on programming talent (because it helps the bottom line) than they do on Data Center staff (which is frequently viewed as overhead). Of course, this spending mismatch doesn’t detract from the fact that Data Center responsibilities get heavier […]]]>