There’s no end in sight to the growth of connected devices (also known as the Internet of Things, or IoT) and this expansion can have a big impact on your business. For example, sensors can track data on shopper behavior in stores to maximize revenue or monitor manufacturing processes to ensure quality. Companies that can pull and process data from these devices to gain meaningful insights will have a distinct competitive advantage. How significant is this growth in IoT? By 2018, Forrester forecasts that connected devices (like connected cars, utility meters, etc.) will outnumber cellphones and increase from less than 5 billion in 2015 to almost 16 billion by 2021.1 Yet while the focus on IoT tends to be all about connected devices, the data they produce is much more valuable. In fact, again, according to Forrester, by 2025, IoT is expected to deliver a potential impact of at least $3.9 trillion.2 Yes, that’s $3.9 TRILLION.
Forrester describes how Hadoop plays an important and growing role in extracting insight from IoT. They also explain how solutions for processing and obtaining insight from data streaming and connected devices provide much greater opportunities for business. Control-M for Hadoop from BMC, for example, automates and accelerates Hadoop data workflows to reduce costs and speed service delivery. Since IoT is expanding at such a rapid pace, being able to deliver data on-time, every time between business critical applications will help to drive business success.
Unlock the Value of IoT
Forrester highlighted some examples of how companies are delivering value by providing timely analysis of data as it streams from remote sensors. This includes:
- Finding a better way to integrate car charging into renewable energy grids based on more effective weather prediction and communication flows within the power grid to predict and manage energy requirements more effectively.
- Improving the diagnosis and treatment of asthma with connected devices to understand and devise devices that are better able to survey the environments in which they will be used.
- Moving from monthly utility consumption reports to real-time dashboards in smart homes that will ultimately deliver real-time insight to millions of customers.
How to Transform Business with Insights from the IoT
What do organizations need to do to reap the benefits of IoT? They need systems that provide insight into customer content and behavior focused on the data within IoT, which should be extracted cost effectively and analyzed rapidly and effectively. Without the capability to process Hadoop workloads in motion quickly and cost effectively, there is a wasted opportunity to create meaningful competitive advantage. That’s why it’s important to consider how enterprise workload automation can automate and accelerate Hadoop batch workflows to capture greater competitive value from this data. Get more details in this brief from Forrester: Brief: Streaming Data from the Internet of Things Will be the Big Data World’s Bigger Second Act.
- Using Hive Advanced User Defined Functions with Generic and Complex Data Types
- Using Apache Hive with ElasticSearch
- What is Apache HCatalog? HCatalog Explained
- Graphing Spark Data with HighCharts
- MongoDB Overview: Getting Started with MongoDB
Want to Learn More About Big Data and What It Can Do for You?
BMC recently published an authoritative guide on big data automation. It’s called Managing Big Data Workflows for Dummies. Download now and learn to manage big data workflows to increase the value of enterprise data.