There are six high-level benefits of ITIL® that are achieved by aligning process areas with a desired business outcome. ITIL focuses on solving business issues rather than just improving IT capabilities.
As a set of practices that imparts practical and strategic guidance for IT service management, the overall goal of ITIL is to improve the business service. The business service will be improved when its support system – the specialized capabilities of the process, people, suppliers, and technology – is optimized.
The top six benefits of ITIL are:
- Stronger alignment between IT and the business
- Improved service delivery and customer satisfaction
- Reduced costs through improved utilization of resources
- Greater visibility of IT costs and assets
- Better management of business risk and service disruption or failure
- More stable service environment to support constant business change
The ITIL framework consists of five stages with 26 process areas defined in BMC’s Best Practice Insight Booklets, which provide actionable ideas for your business and further explanation of the benefits of ITIL.
If you’re new to ITIL, check out our Complete Guide to ITIL.
ITIL® is a Registered Trade Mark of AXELOS Limited.
- 4 P’s of ITIL Service Design/Management
- What Is ITIL Service Transition?
- ITIL Best Practices: Top 5 Insider Secrets
- What is ITIL Service Delivery?
- What does ITIL stand for?